Teachers

Thursday 1 May 2014

Mat space oddity: Feldenkrais


When: 21 Mar 14, h 12.45- 14

Where: Feldenkrais for Yoga, The Life Centre, W8

How much: Drop in 16 GBP (free class due to sponsor day across London studios)


I am getting more and more intrigued by anatomy and movement, so I was pretty curious to find out more about Feldenkrais. Considered by some a form of physiotherapy, Feldenkrais is an experiential method focusing on learning and movement, which can bring about improved movement and enhanced functioning. It is named after its originator, Moshe Feldenkrais (1904-1984), an engineer and physicist as well as a Judo teacher.

Daniel Gelblum, a yoga teacher and Feldenkrais expert in London, has designed a series of classes where he uses Feldenkrais techniques to help yogis move with ease into challenging yoga postures, discovering often hidden flexibility and strength.

The class I attended started in a supine position. Well, the entire class was held in a supine position.

The focus of the day was mobility in the spine, so we spent 75m preparing the body, warming up the spine and twisting. ‘Let me show today how to twist like you never twisted before’, Daniel stated. And it was kind of true…the class slowly built up, from simple, controlled movements to much more subtle ones, to complete free style twist - very contemporary dance-y (made me think of Pina Bausch at some point!). ‘Yoga is very linear, Feldenkrais helps you breaking this linearity and improving the quality of your movement’. I see the point, especially in the context of Vinyasa, where transitions are so important.

I found the class a bit unusual, which I assume was exactly the point…I can see how this practice can be complementary to asana practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment