Teachers

Thursday 8 May 2014

Space and Flow

Where: The Life Centre
When: Wednesday pm

I have to admit that I went to this class purely because of the positive spin on the name and my expectations were not particularly high. I thought that the class was going to be exactly the same as a vinyasa class and that the centre had resorted to branding their classes for extra cash. I was sorely mistaken because this class was nothing like anything I have done before. The emphasis is on creating space in the body and on flowing through very carefully selected kramas and ones which I have never done, at least not in that order. If, like me, you thought the name of the class, reflected a gentle softening of the practice, then think again. This class is as challenging as they come, with some around me launching themselves into frequent handstands as well as other nameless inversions.
It was good for me, though and made me question the stagnation of my practice and the routine or habit that this creates. I am a taurean and these bulls don't like change so when I am caught off guard like that, it is both frustrating and animating. I felt more alive than usual and maybe that had something to do with the novelty of the practice ( the teacher even used asanas that had no name, presumably ones he had invented!) and I think that the boldness and courage of this teacher is something to be welcomed and admired.

No comments:

Post a Comment