Teachers

Thursday 8 May 2014

Tuesday yoga

Where: The Life Centre
When:  Tuesday evenings

As a regular urban yogini, sometimes it is really hard to find your yogi fix and you end up wandering the streets of this town looking for inspiration and a moment in savasana. More recently, I went back to my roots and a teacher I have known for some time at The Life Centre in Notting Hill. For one reason or another, getting to her class has been a feat near to impossible of late but with the new year firming my resolve, I went back.
And there are no regrets... sometimes with all this chasing our own coccyx, we don't realise what is under our noses the whole time. I went to class one version of a fried Isabell and came out a slightly different version of a much less fried Isabell and what happened in between was a mixture of softness, encouragement, life and creative movement that lifted my being.
It occurred to me during class that there are not many teachers able to define yoga by not uttering a word about it, by not preaching to the clearly converted, by just being present. There are not many who, with the grace of their own bodies and the stillness of their mind, can incite the same in a whole group of others and there are not many, who can leave me at some great distance from the cynicism that I so often feel in these situations. Her voice, her insights and her practice leaves me almost shouting Namaste from the rooftops (except that I can't even get to one in the pricey Notting Hill area) and my faith in London yoga is restored. For now...

No comments:

Post a Comment