Teachers

Thursday 8 May 2014

Jivamukti



Where: Jivamukti Yoga London in W10
When: h 9 - 10.30, 19 Jan 14




How: Registered as new student 10m before class (1 page questionnaire), GBP 16 for 90m class but they also have carnet available.




I have been practising with Jivamukti certified teachers for some time know, but I admit this was my first ‘official’ Jivamukti class. Fighting the temptation to stay on bed on a rainy Sunday morning, I let Otto (my vespone) lead me to Jivamukti Yoga London in W10. The studio is in a modern block, on the first floor, within a typical corporate / office space setting. However, as you step in, you find yourself in a welcoming and friendly environment: spacious but not huge, well designed but not over the top. As soon as I declared my status of a newcomer, the receptionist quickly handed me over a questionnaire asking just to put name and contact number - I would complete the form after class. They offer open level classes (90m), spiritual warrior classes (60m, ‘condensed’ sessions for busy people) and basic classes for beginners, as well as periodic seminars from resident teachers or guest teachers within the Jivamukti lineage.


The Sunday morning the 90m open level class is held by Adrian Squirrel in the main studio. The class was full, about 25 people, but I easily accommodated some place to lay my mat. All the students were awaiting into some form of savasana, enjoying the ambient music playing in the background.


From the beginning, starting in Balasana, the class flew at a steady pace: the sequence was well thought, accessible to all - still challenging. After class, I have asked the teacher if there is a recommended sequence and whether he follows some kind of a script. ‘I like to change it every time’, Adrian says. While today the class did not cover much in terms of philosophy, it was indeed very well constructed: from warm up to a strong vinyasa section, to then slowing down and emphasis on grounding. I would have loved even a few minutes in pure stillness though. However, during the week, Adrian offers 15m meditation classes after a 60m asana session.




Overall it was a solid, well run class. There was also a good level of individual attention, especially given this was a busy class: and I loved yogi perks such as china gel on lower back and shoulders at the start of the class, a couple of hands on adjustments and a great massage in savasana. I infer Adrian must have remarkable taste in music, based on the selection he played - although in my practice I would tend to opt for predominantly instrumental music. I am notoriously a music geek and I found myself focussing on the lyrics rather than on my breath at least a couple of times. Still, is that really more vritti (bad, bad…) or does that lead you into some form of absorption into a point, anyway?



At the end of the class, I tried to introduce myself to Adrian and have a quick chat - as I actually had a question on a specific pose. He was friendly but given the queue of students willing to talk to him we had to quickly wrap up. Besides, I noticed many students were chatting to each other, leading me to think that this is more than an established studio - it is a small yoga community.


This is good news: while a big brand and a successful commercial operation, Jivamukti Yoga London to date seems to maintain its authenticity and its strong connection to the yoga tradition, filtered through the lenses of Sharon Gannon and David Life. I will go back to check out whether my first impression is right and hope not to be disappointed.





No comments:

Post a Comment