Teachers

Wednesday 30 April 2014

High class...


Practice or not practice: the substitute teacher dilemma


When: 29 Apr 14, h 10.30 - 12.00

Where: Yogasana (Experienced), Indaba, NW1

How much: Drop in 16 GBP


It does not happen that often to be able to practice with one of my favourite teachers in the morning mid-week. Nirvana scenario: spacious room, energetic morning practice, few yogis = a lot of hands on adjustments from the teacher.

Traffic was maniac, parking my vespone has never been more difficult. Tube strike side effects.

As I sign in for my class, the friendly receptionist: 'Hi Anna, Stew won’t make in time today - we are finding a substitute'. 

A smile on my face tried to conceal my disappointment: no Stewart this morning? I came on purpose, I organised the entire weekly routine so that I could make this morning class and now this?! I do not even know who will guide us in the practice….?! I was not proud of my reaction, but at least I was keeping all this to myself. Of the 5 students after me, 2 left, 2 signed in rolling eyes up, 1 stood in stand-by waiting to hear who the teacher would be.

Stewart’s classes are usually full of Pitta and Vata dominant characters, you can try to get the picture...

Anyway, the class starts on time, Hortense leading. 

Oh, not bad at all - I say to myself - I heard pretty good things about her. I read somewhere she has trained with Dharma Mittra, amongst other teachers, and that she has a strong practice. Still, if stepping in another teacher’s (imaginary) shoes is never easy, covering for Stewart with no notice at all must be so intimidating. one could sense it in her voice. Impressive how this affected the energy of the class and the doshas, too.

 Still, it was a solid, honest and fun class. Well rounded, creative, challenging - and very, very different from what we all expected.

High Five & respect to Hortense.






No comments:

Post a Comment