Teachers

Thursday 6 February 2014

Dharma Mittra




Anna and the Master (Class)

 

When: Sat 1 Feb 14, h 14.45 - 16.45

Where: Dharma Mittra Master Class, Indaba, NW1

How much: Drop in 16 GBP

 

I have missed my Sat morning class and I quite liked the idea of trying something new, so I signed up for Mark Kan’s Dharma Mittra Master Class at Indaba (Marylebone). I heard pretty good things of Dharma Mittra and his teachers, so why not. Besides, I know the studio well, I go there often and it is one of my favourite yoga places in London. The description on their website is music to my ears: 'Be ready for a graceful yet challenging practice. This two hour class is an amazing way to deepen your asana practice and explore the advanced poses. Shiva Namaskara Vinyasa has been embraced by yogis from all schools for the unique integration of the classical spirit of true yoga and a completely thorough mobilization of the corporeal body. The master class will help you to overcome your obstacles through laughter and group encouragement, you will attempt handstands, forearm balances, headstand variations and unique vinyasas, perfection is not expected but confidence and technique is strengthened. Embrace the ability to fall, conquer fear and get right back up again. One of the joys of Master Practice is exploring variations of postures you may not encounter anywhere else in the world today, as well as the instruction in how to take the steps necessary to acquire these postures It will bring contentment- merging complete identity with the true self, the goal of yoga. For experienced practitioners, super heroes and people will have a go at anything without fear of failure’.

 

I get there 10m earlier. I am not nervous, but I soon become a little, as the most athletic yoginis I have ever seen in my life start laying their mats around. Mumble. 'Breath and you will be fine', I say to myself. We start with a lovely mantra of purification which I promise I will research and 3 variations of Surya Namaskar A, all good so far. Then I am invited to come into forearm balance. Right. Up I go. Clearly, that is just the beginning. Two full hours of high octane yoga: never been to anything like that in London (and reminded me a bit of my experience in Mysore some time ago). I soon lose count of the handstand and headstand variations, but I somehow follow, and Mark guides us through every posture impeccably…what an inspiring class, ops, master class. A two hour sequence of incredibly challenging postures: there is the risk the class becomes some kind of egocentric yoga show off. However, it does not….it is just very inspiring. In some way, I am a beginner again - but this time with an awareness which I did not have before, and I liked it. A lot. I still wonder whether this is the right place for me, though. So, at the end of class, I ask Mark. ‘Of course, come back’. That felt nice.  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment