Teachers

Friday 28 February 2014

Broga!




When: Feb 26, h 13:15 – 14:15

Where: Blue Cow Yoga, Moorgate, EC2R

How much: £ 18 for 45-60m class



The Broga Code



I have been quite curious for a while about this Broga thing. Especially since that day I happened to walk by a studio room where a Broga class was held: the overly keen ‘inhale, exhale’ that could clearly be heard from outside did raise some attention.

So, what is Broga? Yoga for men (bros or even dudes, if you rather). Well, not only - I hope.



So here I am today in this City yoga & pilates studio located in a basement in Moorgate for my first lunchtime Broga class. The class schedule is predominantly filled with flow classes. And given the location, Broga definitely seems to fit in. This time, I have done a bit of research beforehand. Matt Miller, the (big) guy behing Broga in the UK, has a very interesting bio: a former American football player (Miller the Pillar was his battlefield nickname), body builder, sports training and physiology graduate, fitness instructor and, dulcis in fundo, yoga teacher. Matt makes no mystery of his yoga muse, Rachel Okimo – one of the most creative teachers on the London scene – who is also his business partner.



I can see the idea behind this – nowadays, yoga seems to be predominantly a women affair. Too often I hear from men that they are not flexible enough and hence yoga is not for them. Left aside that the point is not to be able to cross your leg behind your head or touch your toes with your fingers in Pashimottanasana, this seems to be enough to prevent most men I know from stepping on the mat (not to mention the spiritual side of the practice, that equally scares them). Broga tries to demistify this adapting traditional asanas and sequences to those who may be strong and fit, but struggle with agility and flexibility.



It is only five of us today, great size for a class – and despite guys being the majority, I am not the only girl! Matt starts by introducing today’s theme – legs (at which point, I confess, I have swallowed). What follows is a strong, slow flow class, with a remarkable focus on alignment and the best anatomy cues I have come across in a long time. While weak on philosophy (pourquoi?), I have found the class pretty well rounded and varied – offering options and raising awareness on common ego-driven mistakes. As we roll the mats at the end of the class after a savasana-meets-yoga-nidra, I ask my neighbour if he enjoyed that. ‘Very much! This is no-nonsense yoga’. I am not too sure about that. I can see though why Broga can be an attractive yogic entry point for the so-to-speak ‘male athlete’.




No comments:

Post a Comment