Teachers

Thursday 6 February 2014

a little bit of heaven in the west



Where: The Life Centre
When: every damn Saturday!
Time: 5-6:30

I have started to look at the class I regularly drop into on a Saturday as a little bit of medicine, not least because it ends unlike most classes with a simple observation meditation, which never fails to take me to a peaceful stupor, one I have been in need of for quite some time.
The class starts with somewhat more of a bang, focusing on a semi-dynamic practice which suits the vata type, as it slows down the breath and the asana simultaneously and all postures are driven by a need to ground in the present moment. The teacher sets the tone with an angelic tone of voice and a soft and rhythmic pace, allowing to find space on the mat and allowing for breath to smoothen and mind to still. It seems like all the postures lead to one thing here: stillness. Ironically, I don't feel this about most classes but maybe this is down to the psychological factor and the knowledge that there is a big, vacuous, stretch of time at the end where I can just be.  And I need to be here, now because the outside Saturday mayhem of Notting Hill needs a rest and I hope to infuse shoppers and urbanites all around me as soon as I leave!

I wholeheartedly recommend this for stress management and this class is really the hidden key to dampening anxiety, ridding the body and mind of phobias and gaining much-needed balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment