Teachers

Monday 16 June 2014

The Power Yoga company


When: 1 Mar 14, h 10.30
Where: Power Yoga,The Power Yoga Company, SW6
How much: Drop in 16 GBP (free class due to sponsor day across London studios)

Quite unintuitively, the Power Yoga Company in Fulham is the yoga studio were I started my Astanga practice. This ground floor studio is now larger than in those days, with a cafe’ area and more spacious changing rooms on the first floor. Odd enough, it took years for me to even consider the idea of actually trying a power yoga class. So one recent Saturday, nested in between things in the best tradition of my typical London w/e, I went to Aram Raffy’s class.
Standard ritual: park my vespone, smile at a fellow yogi locking his bike nearby (small world, we had neighbouring mats yesterday at Satyagraha) and sign in for the class.
I am still not quite sure what exactly power yoga is, whether it is yet another label (one pretty popular with alpha types) or a more orthodox style…so very little expectations, still I was pleased with myself just for being able to squeeze in some daily practice. It occurred that the fellow (biker) yogi was indeed Aram. To me, a lovely surprise. Aram is a very considerata teacher and Stewart’s influence in his teaching is undeniable: strong flow, strong breath, plenty of sutras and irony. And (yes!) mindful, no frills meditation - which is so hard to find in most of flow classes in London today.
'Vinyasa karma makes me happy’, he tells me at the end of the class. How can I disagree.

No comments:

Post a Comment