Teachers

Sunday 2 March 2014

Kundalini time




 



 
Kundalini
When: Sun 9 Feb, h 12.15 - 13.30
Where: Evolve, SW7
How much: 16 £
Kundalini has been on my yoga-to-do list for a while. I have heard & read about it, but - probably due to some stupid prejudice - I have always carefully avoided any kundalini class in the yoga studios I normally go to. But why? Why choose (or not, in this case) something without taking a closer look? Ignorance, indolence, judgement…what a yogi am I if I let these rule? One of my teachers advised me: ‘try it, but you are not going to like it’. Mmmm. A yogi friend who wanted to practise with me today: ‘sorry Anna, I cannot do kundalini’. Double mmmm. And there all these freaky stories about kundalini awakening...To be honest, given the premises, I was not exactly looking forward to this class.

To minimise the shock, I decide to go to my regular studios, Evolve in South Kensington, for my first kundalini experience. The teacher at Evolve is Sivaroshan Sahathevan, one of the most popular in London. ‘Hi Anna. Are you here for Kundalini??’ the receptionist seemed quite surprised. I do not know much about Yogi Bhajan, who bough it to the West in the late 1960s, but I have read they use many ‘Kriyas’ to strengthen mind, body and spirit - which seems very interesting. I am told they use many mantras, and they chant too, and they even meditate! Anyway, I get to the studio 10 minutes before class and the teacher is already there. But despite the all white attire (turban included), she does not look at all like Sivaroshan…’I am Maren, welcome’, as she greets me with a soft German accent. I tell her this i my first time - I am the only one apparently in a class of seven - and she warns me that the practice is very deep and powerful, tailored to help me connect me with my true self. And she also tells me that it may feel weird…The whole practice is with eyes closed and apparently there is quite a bit of chanting (thumbs up). Today she has chosen a Kriya aimed at maintaining perfect health. which mainly involve work around the hips and the navel. The next 75 minutes are a few repetitive and pretty intense exercises (each repeated for 3 to 5m, either sitting or laying on our back) targeting the arms to start and finish but for the majority of the class the svadhistana and manipura chakras - all chanting mantras to help us maintaining the rhythm of the practice. As a result of each exercise the body felt different indeed. And yes, I could feel the energy moving, in quite an uncontrolled fashion though: I had this sense of vibrating and shaking, but not quite the deep ecstatic sensation Maren keeps talking about. Is that my kundalini? The final meditation is not as balancing as I would have hoped (5 minutes with the right arm extended, with left fingers touching Ajna chakra felt a bit strange) but I have been quite intrigued by the very strong flow of energy I have experienced. I understand now why some can find this practice destabilising. Well, guess my kapha these days keeps my kundalini sleeping tight...

No comments:

Post a Comment