Teachers

Sunday 2 March 2014

A Sleepy class



Where: Life Centre
When: wednesdays 8:15 pm


This class was a recent find and I thought I would share it. Tired from a long  day at work, I decided to leave later than usual from work as this particular teacher I had bookmarked for a long time. Her name is Lucy and upon lying down in a rather busy studio, I immediately felt her grounded, warm approach and knew I had come to the right spot.  I don't quite know how she did it but she found enough minutes prior to class starting to go around and ask everyone about their injuries and for the first time in my life, I told her that yes, I do have an injury but it is not as physical as other ailments. Mine is insomnia and i have relentlessly suffered for many weeks now, trying all sorts of old wives' solutions to stave off sleeplessness but to no avail. So, when I rather reluctantly told Lucy about this, her response was of genuine concern and one which I had not been expecting. To my surprise, she had actually been planning a class to teach postures for sleep and throughout class made several educated references to asana and sleep, including a mention of the doshas and how to ground before bed. This all made perfect sense and I was relieved to be taken under her wing and annoyed that I had not come sooner.
There are certain teachers who don't profess guru status and yet still hold their own in a class, inspiring confidence and a down to earth approach which is actually so needed in such an unlevelling city,. Her soft but earthy voice stilled my mind and the well-selected postures felt good in my weary body, deprived of so many weeks of sleep.
I went to bed happy that night and hopeful that there are some old wives' tales that may actually contain some all important truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment